Pelmet Box Tutorial

My fabric came in, two of my kids are off to school, so me and my 2 year old sidekick made a pelmet box. It took me a total of 30 minutes or half of Sesame Street. That’s counting the time it took to stop and take pictures. So here is my pelmet box tutorial you’ve been waiting for. I’ll go step by step to show you how to do this for your own space.

{Supplies needed}
fabric (I used one yard for a 37 inch by 20 inch box)
foam core (I used two boards)
batting (low loft batting)
duct tape
upholstery staple gun
3M strips
Scissors
Exacto knife
measuring tape

{supplies}

1. Measure your window from one edge of the window frame to the other. I always cut my pelmet boxes so they sit just outside the window frame. Mine measured 37 inches wide. My pelmet box will be 20 inches in length.  I also measured the side piece. I wanted this to be about 1 inch. This will be the depth of the pelmet box.

2. Lay out your foam core. You may need to duct tape some pieces together to get the right width. Each board is 30 inches wide so I needed to cut another 7 inch wide piece and duct tape it together. Don’t worry how this looks at this point. It will all be covered by the batting and fabric.

{use duct tape and additional foam core to get the right width}

3. Next cut out the side pieces. Mine were 1 inch by 20 inches. Duct tape these to the other piece at 90 degree angles. You will now have this. I am only doing the side piece on one side since the box will sit flush with the wall on the left.

{one side ready for batting}

4. Roll out the batting and lay your foam core piece on top of it. All you are doing for this is covering the front and sides with batting. Use a layer of  tape to attach it to the back. I find that the staples tend to pop out of the foam core unless you have a layer of tape first.  I alternate between the two. Take care to pull tight and keep the corners neat. These will be visible from the front and bottom.

{lay foam core on top of batting and trim}
{start taping}

{reinforce with upholstery staples}

5. Once the batting is wrapped do the same thing with the fabric. I lay this out and make sure it is lined up correctly. Then I start wrapping and taping. Once you are done you’ll have this. I admit is looks horrible from the back, but once up on your window you won’t see any of this.

{lay out fabric}

{start taping fabric to foam core}

{reinforce with some staples}

{keep the corners as tight and clean as possible}

{staple and/or tape the sides}

{back of pelmet box once completed}

6. The next step is hanging it up. There are lots of different ways to do this. I’ve always used L brackets but have wanted to try the 3M strips to see if it would work. It does! Line up the 3M strips on the top of the window frame. Then position your pelmet box in front, making sure it is straight, and attach by pushing it against the already attached 3M strips.

{position 3M strips on window frame}

{the end result}

Here is the end result. It cost me a less than $30 to make from start to finish. I went online how much something like this would cost to custom order. They were asking $355 for the same dimensions!

What do you think? Try it for yourself, get your camera out and send me pictures of your very own pelmet boxes.

Comments

1. says

I love the use of electrical tape, so “handy-chic”! The finished product is flawless and so beautiful! I love the fabric and the oomph it adds to the window! I’d be SO pumped if you’d come and link this up to the Head to Head Showdown, going on right now at http://www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com Hope to see you there! ~Jen

2. says

Looks gorgeous!! I’m visiting from My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia’s link up.I never would have thought you could make something like that so easily and quickly! Thanks for the tutorial! I would love if you linked up to the Take it on Tuesday blog hop!

Just like Stacey, I’m curious as to where you found the wall baskets.

• says

I’d be thrilled to link up! Thanks for the invite. I got those baskets on a lucky break at Home Goods. They were about $3.99 each! I’m so happy with how they turned out.

3. says

Awesome job! This is exactly what I want to do in my guest bathroom. Thanks for the tutorial! I’m pinning it! I’m also a new follower. I’d love for you to follow me back!

4. says

I think I saw you featured at least twice today for this fabulous tutorial! I just had to pin it, it was so super fab! Thanks for sharing!!

5. says

Great job! I’ve been looking to do something like this in my bedroom!! I had a question — where do you buy your fabric? I love the chevron AND I love the fabric you chose for your kids’ bedrooms! PS — I’m also a new linky follower! Have a great weekend! :) xo, Reannah

6. says

I made one of these today in about an hour from start to finish! I live in military housing and don’t want to spend a ton of time or money on windows when we will be moving in a year or two. Thanks for a cheap and cheerful idea! It is much appreciated!

7. dizonnenita@yahoo.com says

hi…i want to make a few comments…i want to ask how you manage to stick the pelmet frame to the frame with 3M tape knowing that the pelmet has a thickness of 1″..is it a little bit of a slant position?i cant picture it out..but the photos looked perfect to me..anyways, i will try this project..thanks for the tutorial…

• says

The side of the pelmet wrap around the window frame so I accounted for the thinckness of the frame when measuring out the side pieces. The 3M strips are attached to the front of the window frame and grab onto the inside of the front section. You can see this on the image with the 3M strips sitting in the frame. I then just left the sticky side exposed and pressed down. Does that make sense?!

8. Carly says

Hi Christina,

Beautiful pelmet!

Question: I’m trying to duplicate this project, and I was wondering why so many tutorials call for batting. If you’re stapling to a foam board, and the pelmet won’t be touched, is it really necessary or is it a preference for making the pelmet look plush?

Thanks in advance.

Carly

• says

Hi Carly
      I personally prefer batting because it softens the edges. If it is just foam board underneath you will still see the hard edge and imperfections. I prefer thin batting which doesn’t add too much bulk to your piece.
      I hope that helps!
      Christina

9. Anonymous says

Hi there great tutorial!! Trying to make these for my son’s room, and I’m wondering – when you staple the fabric to the foam core, how do the staples not go through to the front? Does that make sense? lol I’ve looked at a few tutorials and everyone has used staples…

Thanks in advance!
    Debbie

• says

I had the same question in my mind when I started out. Basically between the layers of fabric, batting and foam core it doesn’t show or stick out. A little extra duct tape always help as well! Good luck!

10. Anonymous says

Hey just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of the images aren’t loading properly. I’m
    not sure why but I think its a linking issue.
    I’ve tried it in two different browsers and both show the same outcome.
    Also visit my blog coolest online mlm leader

11. Anonymous says

Hello my family member! I wish to say that this post is awesome, nice written and
    come with almost all vital infos. I would like to look extra posts like this .
    Feel free to surf my web-site :: Diablo 3 monk guide

12. Anonymous says

Hi! This is kind of off topic but I need some guidance from an established blog.
    Is it very difficult to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast. I’m thinking about making my own
    but I’m not sure where to start. Do you have any points or suggestions? Cheers
    Have a look at my blog posthow to lose man breast

13. Anonymous says

Right now it appears like Expression Engine is the preferred blogging platform available right now.
    (from what I’ve read) Is that what you are using on your blog?
    My site: Bostaditurkiet.net

14. Anonymous says

I write a comment each time I like a post on a site or I have something to add to the discussion.
    Usually it is caused by the sincerness communicated in
    the post I browsed. And on this post “Pelmet Box Tutorial”.
    I was actually moved enough to post a leave a responsea response ;) I do have a couple
    of questions for you if you usually do not mind. Could it be simply me or does it look
    like some of these responses come across like they are written by
    brain dead folks? :-P And, if you are writing on other online sites, I would like to follow anything fresh you have to post.
    Would you make a list the complete urls of your public pages like your Facebook page,
    twitter feed, or linkedin profile?
    Also see my web pageboligityrkia.net

15. Anonymous says

Excellent post. I was checking continuously this blog and I’m impressed! Extremely useful information particularly the ultimate section :) I care for such information a lot. I used to be looking for this certain info for a long time. Thanks and good luck.
    my page: flash websites

16. Anonymous says

My coder is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP.
    I have always disliked the idea because of the costs. But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been
    using WordPress on a variety of websites for about a year and am nervous about
    switching to another platform. I have heard great things about blogengine.

net. Is there a way I can import all my wordpress content into it?

Any kind of help would be really appreciated!

Feel free to surf to my homepage: business web hosting

17. says

I love this idea! I was looking for some thing to help w/my living room windows that wouldn’t break the bank seeing we just moved in 5mnths ago!? I don’t have a blog ,but love yours and will checkout others in your comments. I do have a quick question, can you see the electrical tape from outside? Even though they are going over blinds? Thanks for all your great ideas!

• says

Jennifer – I hung my pelmet boxes high enough to take advantage of my tall ceilings. The only part visible from the outside is the very bottom of the pelmet box which is just fabric. If you have to hang them lower you could just cover the backs with something simple like a linen fabric. I hope that helps and thanks for stopping by!

18. says

Hi! great tutorial! Easiest one I have seen yet, excited to tackle this soon. One question though… with the edge poking out an inch how is it that you can press the middle back of the valance against the strips with out it bowing or with out the 90 degree angle getting messed up? My windows dont’ have any moldings around it so everything would go flush. Does this make sense? Thanks. -Kristen

• says

I only did the wrap around edge on one side for this window. My molding on the left goes all the way to the wall. I attached the pelmet box directly to the molding. If I had no moldings I would only do a front panel without out the two sides and mounts it directly to the wall. Good luck! You have a much easier job since you don’t have to measure out the two little sides!

19. Valerie says

Loved this tutorial! Thank you so much! I really wanted to do a valance for my stepsons room and we rent so this was perfect! I used tacks instead of staples and it worked fine. Also instead of 3m strips and because I wanted it to go over curtains I bought cheap double metal curtain rods, hung the curtains in the inner bar and duct taped the other bar to the back of the box. It’s exactly the look I was going for.