boys closet tutorial

A while back I wrote about how I took the doors off to the closet in my boys room and put in an IKEA Expedit. I loved how it all looked except for one thing. Everything I had on the top shelf showed, as did the rod that ran across the entire closet. I needed to keep the rod there because I do hang clothes on either side of the Expedit.
I came up with what I would do, a valance inside the closet, but then ran into my second problem, what fabric to use? It took me a week or two but I finally settled on a great fabric that would match what was already in their room. I put together an easy way to hang the valance hanging from cup hooks and curtain rings with clips.

I could go with the no sew method I showed you here, but I decided to take out the sewing machine and challenge myself a little. I measured the opening of the closet, 60 inches, and added 10 inches on either side so the valance would run all the way across the opening and beyond making 80 inches total. I would need to sew two pieces of fabric together since my fabric was only 54 inches wide.
I measured to get the correct height of the piece. I wanted it to hit the top of the Expedit. I actually took a pillowcase to do this and just kept adjusting where it was clipped until I got the right height. No rocket science here! I added a couple extra inches to allow for a seam on the top and bottom.

Once my fabric was cut and pinned I was ready to go. First I sewed the two outside edges of each piece. I then lined up the chevron stripe and pined the two pieces together. After it was all one piece, I rechecked my measurements for the height and sewed the top and bottom. Simple straight lines all around.

Here is my seam below. How’d I do? Not bad for a beginner if I do say so myself!

The sewing was done so I headed upstairs and clipped the curtain rings on. I didn’t measure for this either since it would be hidden within the closet. I screwed the cup hooks in by matching up where the rings were on the valance.

Nine hooks later and this is what it looked like…

Do you want to see that before again?

It took a lot of measuring and double checking, but I’m so happy to not have to have the random sleeping bag and box of clothing staring me in the face.

Linking at Serenity Now

Comments

1. says

I absolutely love this … it looks fantastic… I am so glad I followed you over here from Party with My Peeps…awesome closet tutorial….

Carri
    simplydonewright.blogspot.com

2. says

Oooo!
    I know just the place for this… and I could probably hand some cup hooks at a 90° angle and turn it so that it hides the one end too!
    …oh yeah… right over my washroom cabinets.

so glad you posted this!
    via the PEEPS party
    ~Pat

3. says

Wow – that’s looks so amazing!! I will need to do this for my office closet now!! Thanks for the inspiration! I’ll be pinning this so I can remember.

Thanks for linking up to Romance on a Dime! I’m going to follow you now…

4. says

Okay, here’s the breakdown.
    This is fabulous because:

1) you used fabric
    2) you sewed it
    3) hello…it’s chevron
    4) I have two boys (okay and a girl)…who share a room…who’s closet I attempt to organize
    5) Ikea. Enough said.

Really looks great. I think I’m ready to rip the closet doors off. 😉

5. says

This is really nice! Okay, a quick question for you… do you store their clothes elsewhere or are they in the bins? We have two teenage boys sharing a small room and I am desperately trying to figure out a way to corral their clothes. The closet is almost as wide as their room (not saying much ha ha!) but having a dresser in there wasn’t working. I may have to give this option a try except for leave the rod up above since they do have a bit of hanging clothes as well. Thanks for the inspiration!!

6. Anonymous says

I have геad so many сontent on the tοpic of thе blоgger loverѕ hoωever this paгаgгaph is actuallу a pleаsant article,
    keeρ it up.
    Here is my website1 month loan

7. Anonymous says

We are а group of volunteeгs аnd ѕtarting a new scheme in our community.
    Yοur ѕite offerеd us wіth valuаble information to ωork on.
    Yοu’ve done an impressive job and our whole community will be grateful to you.

My website … quick cash loans
    Also see my webpagequick cash loans

• says

I have room on either side of the IKEA Expedit, one side for each of my sons. There is about a 6 inch gap between the Expedit and the molding. Just enough to get in hanging clothes. Inside the closet on each side there is about 2 feet of hanging space.