the all finished basement..

So today is the day for the final reveal. The people are gone, the tools are gone, the dust has settled and been vacuumed up. Here’s is a little before and after to see how far this place has come. We’ve gone from darn, dingy and dismal….

….to this. I’d add more adjectives but I’ll just let you come up with your own!

{the open doorway entering the basement}
{the built in from IKEA Hemnes}

{close up}
{places for book, games and pretty stuff to come}
{lots of closets}
{closets with shelves!}
{my new favorite, a barn door}
{the laundry room}
{double locked door to the utility room}
{the play area}

I’m so excited to start unpacking, figuring out where everything goes, and having the rest of my house back. The kids actually went downstairs and played there this morning!
Did you come up with some adjectives?
find No. 29 Design at…
TDC Before and After
Thrifty Decor Chick

Comments

1. says

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! I’m so excited to have found your blog. Very fun and loving following along. Hope you guys are all well! We are planning on moving later this year, so this gives me such inspiration about vision. :)

2. says

Wow!!! I can’t believe it’s the same space. I have a horrible dingy basement and often dream of what it could be…this give me even more ideas. Thanks!

3. says

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!! Love the board and batten, Love the dark wood-like floors, and LOVE the Ikea pieces- can’t believe they are Ikea… really, really beautiful! I can’t wait to see how you’re going to decorate!!

4. says

Holy cow, Christina! It doesn’t look anything near the same house. Beautiful trim and built-ins and that barn door? Gorgeous! What an amazing transformation! Can’t wait to see more! :)

5. says

Christina,

I saw that your basement was featured at the Shabby Nest and I just had to come check it out. It looks great! So much space and storage. We are working on our home too, and this is some great inspiration!

I would love if you stopped by my blog, where the paint is still wet and the dust still settling.

Thanks for sharing,
    Laura

6. says

This looks really great! You did an amazing job. I am almost done my own basement remodel and seeing your finished product motivates me to keep going. I especially love all of the storage!! The built-ins are wonderful!!

7. says

May I ask approximately how much it cost you to renovate that space? I know that every job is different but I’m just curious as I am looking into it and would love to finish ours however am nervous I am underestimating or overestimating the cost… Please?!

• says

When I was quoting out the basement job I definitely underestimated at first. The biggest cost for this particular renovation was installing the pipes for the laundry room. We also put in a bulkhead with a door to the backyard, as well as some drainage pipes to the backyard to keep water away from the house. Email me (katos5{at}comcast{dot}net) with some more details as well as the scope of your project and I can give you a better idea.

8. says

We’re just starting on our basement and I’ve been searching for inspiration. I LOVE what you guys did! The barn door is the cherry on top! :)

9. says

Fabulous!! I love your built in wall and all your closet storage!!! I desperately wanted a barn door too but our builder and my husband vetoed it because our ceilings are not high and there wasn’t a lot of space for the rail. Whatever! I know I could have made it work :) Love how your basement space came out – hope you are enjoying it!

10. says

Love the basement remodel. We’re in the process of finishing ours as well. I’ve been looking at the TrafficMaster Allure flooring. Do you know if yours is the glue tab type (Allure) or the uniclic type (Allure Ultra). I’ve been leaning toward the clicklock type install. The reviews are all over the place for both types. Also, what is the wood type? It’s gorgeous!

11. Betty819 says

Those built ins came out great! Did I read it is all from Ikea? You will get many years of use out of this..the white really will make the basement seem so spacious and light..I think I’m going to have to make a trip to Ikea. I’ve heard so much about Billy bookcases. I could use something like them in my home office.

Ever tried painting laminated furniture like Sauder or Sullivan? We have a wall unit that comes in 3 parts that we purchased at Best Stores when it was still in business. They have to be about 25 years old..they have an oak finish but are that laminated and I’ve wanted to try painting them white and using them in the office or elsewhere, like in the Sun room. Never painted any furniture before unless it was unpainted furniture that was probably oak or pine furniture originally. Afraid I’ll make a mess of them where they can’t be used at all. They are very heavy and that’s another reason I’m afraid to attempt the job and if screwed the job up, DH would never let me hear the end of it.

• says

I’ve never painted laminated furniture but I know the trick is to lightly sand the piece first. This way the primer and paint has something to grab onto instead of a slick surface. After sanding make sure you prime the entire piece. Let it dry completely before painting with the color of your choice. Good luck!

12. says

This is a great article and very informative. I love you basement and the white wall cabinets look great! Remodeling a basement can be hard and is a long process. My wife and I just had our basement remodeled and it was a rough process. We have a small space so we had to design a floor plan that fit. We decided to have a spiral stair case built to save space. I did not know much about them so we researched Spiral Stair on the web to find the best options.

13. Anonymous says

I’ve been looking for a built in alternative to the AU$10000 one we were quoted custom made. This is exactly what I wanted. I nrver thought of doing this but it will fit my space perfectly. Thanks from Sydney Australia