the barn door is officially done…

Including a barn door in my basement was really high on my wish list. During the process I was hoping to have it in another space, the door leading to the utility/storage area. This didn’t work out because of the baseboard heating on either side of the doorway. There wouldn’t be room for the door to roll on either side. The only other doorway which was not a closet was the laundry room. There was enough space to roll either way, there was no baseboard heating and it is actually very functional. You know when you are walking around the house with a full basket of laundry and there is a closed door in front of you. Unless you are extremely talented you have to put the basket down to open the door. I have tried to wedge the basket between the door frame and my hip but that just hurts. With a barn door all I do is slide the door open with my foot. And I just wanted it because it was pretty. I never thought of the functional aspect of it!
I’ve shown the door in it’s finished stages but never showed you how I got there. The door was built out of pieces of pine. The planks were laid out and then held together with a z frame. A wooden valance was then installed along the top to hide the hardware. I originally wanted the incredible barn door hardware that is out there but there but this raised two issues. One being that it is expensive, the second is that my ceilings are not high enough. A simple track was built along the top and then hidden by the white valance. A stopper was added to the track as well as a rubber wheel placed on the bottom to guide the door. Altogether, wood included, it cost about $120 to make. Just the barn door hardware alone can cost three times that amount.

After it was all constructed I stained it. The floors were not down yet so making a mess was not a problem. I decided on a stain since painting it a bold color would have made quite the statement, but would have restricted the design of the rest of the room. I used one coat of Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner to help seal the door, then two coats of Minwax White Wash Picking Stain, which creates a slightly white stain and lets the wood show through. Using a rag helped get a less perfect look, which is what I was going for. All this helps add a slightly rustic touch to the rest of the room.
All that was left was the door handle. I wanted something with a back plate to give it a more substantial look.This took some searching because most of the door handles with back plates are huge.  I found this handle from Pottery Barn. Perfect dimensions and finish to match with the rest of the room.

It is definitely the conversation piece of the whole space. It is not your typical barn door, but getting the barn door look and feel was more important to me than using the hardware you usually see. It also was a great way to cut corners and get the look you want without spending too much.

Comments

• says

Thank you Jen!

I’ll be putting together a small tutorial for the door construction as well. I did not do this part of the process myself but I did plan it all out. More information to come!!

1. says

Beautiful job. I have been looking at the fancy barn door hardware because I planning on building a barn door for our stairway. After the sticker shock as beginning to rethink the idea. Thank you for bringing the idea back. I have made several wood cornices for windows so could make one to cover the sliding door hardware.
    What did you use for the bottom of the door to keep it from pulling out? Looks like a knob or wheel.
    Love the laundry too!

• says

The door is held in place at the bottom by a rubber wheel which was meant for sliding doors. It was turned on its’ side to guide the door. White rubber was also placed along the wall behind the door (when open) to not scratch the woodwork. It was placed at the bottom close to the floor so it is not visible, especially since the door is mostly open.

2. says

you are a my new best friend! We are in the midst of building a home and for some reason barn doors are harder to understand than rocket sciene down here. Thank you so much for this post – you got a new follower!! (and BFF) lol

• says

The sink was already in our house when we bought it. I replaced the faucet and cleaned it from top to bottom. It is ceramic and even has the washboard on the front. I’m told it is from the 1940’s.

3. says

I found your blog via Pinterest while looking for inspiration for our basement which will have two barn doors in it and I can only hope they’ll turn out as perfect as yours.
    I have seen tracks in The Home Depot for as much as $140, I have also seen some at our local Tractor Supply store which aren’t very budget friendly either, but I really the track you have used. Is it a closet door track? Where did you buy it and what lengths do they come in? What is the cost per track?
    A ton of questions, sorry.

• says

The track is just a simple closet door track from Home Depot, they have them starting at $11 for a 48 inch track. Buy the closest lenth to you door size and then cut the track down to size.

4. Evie says

I love your barn door treatment and would like to save to Pinterest but when I click on Pinterest the barn door does not come up. What am I doing wrong? thanks.

• admin says

Not sure why that is happening. You could try importing the image into Pinterest or use another device.Hope that helps!

5. Janet Olson says

Great idea! I’ve been wanting to do barn doors for our bathroom entrances. We have very little (inches) of space on one side of each. We have to somehow accommodate widening the openings to accommodate walkers and wheelchairs. These doors are all we think will work and I love them. Your idea makes the price possible.

6. Julie Lalonde says

I love this idea. I too, need to build a sliding barn door for our bedroom but we have very low ceilings so I will not be able to use the hardware for barn doors as I do not have the clearance.
    Just wondering if you are able to send me a close-up photo of the track itself? Or even a step by step of how you were able to build this. There isn’t much out there with these doors when you dont have the ceiling clearance.

Thank you!
    Julie

7. Matthew Goings says

I have reviewed the step-by-step guide on Houzz (in fact, that was the article that I found first). We’re building a barn door for our kitchen pantry since the old one opened INTO the pantry, and you had to close yourself in to get to some of the things inside.This idea definitely solves our problem of not having the ceiling clearance for normal hardware. I still have a question about mounting this hardware. From looking at it, it appears that you have to mount the track from the top, so the 2 tracks are to the left and right. In your pictures, the siding or wood box are already around the track and door so I cannot see how it is mounted. Could you please tell me how you mounted the track? Was it just to the wall extra moulding pieces on the wall, or did you have to build a box and mount it on the underside of the top?